Saturday, March 28, 2009

Super 8 is alive and well!



I recently had to buy a super 8mm camera for film school. I was amazed to find that Super 8 is indeed, alive and well and Kodak is still making S8 film. Super 8 can add a cool aesthetic to a digital film project; there is a nostalgic look to super 8 that makes even contemporary scenes look as though they were shot in the '60s or '70s. I did a lot of research looking for a reliable source for the camera and a place to buy and have 8mm film processed. The shop I bought my camera at is Du-All camera in NYC; they have an S8 camera for just about any budget and their work is exceptional!

I bought a Canon 1014 auto zoom electric (pictured above) the camera arrived in like new condition and worked as advertised AND you actually talk to a human when you buy the camera; you have to place your order buy telephone but these guys do great work and can be trusted! There are other reputable super 8mm camera dealers that I found on the net but Du-All camera is closer to Philadelphia, that's why I went with them. Film processing for super 8 is easy to find as well. I found loads of forums and other really good info to help get me back into super 8 film making here: onsuper8 this site is well organised and has a wealth of information to help you get back into super 8 or introduce you to the format.

What does it look like? Check out some samples:




No comments: